If your child needs a ride to and from non-emergency medical visits, call the Nonemergency Medical Transportation (NEMT) program at 1-866-824-1565 (TTY: 711) 24 hours a day, 7 days a week. NEMT can help you to get a ride to your child’s health care appointments when there are no other transportation options. Rides are available between 8 a.m. and 5 p.m. Central Time, Monday through Friday.
What Services are Covered?
The plan offers rides free of charge when you have no other way to get to:
- A doctor's appointment
- An appointment with another health care provider
- A dental appointment
- A pharmacy
How Far in Advance Do I Need to Call?
- Call NEMT when you know you will need a ride.
- You must call NEMT at least 2 days before the appointment.
- If your child’s visit is on Monday, call NEMT by Thursday the week before.
When you call, you will need to give NEMT the following facts:
- Your child's full name, current address, phone number and Blue Cross and Blue Shield of Texas (BCBSTX) member ID number.
- The type of appointment you’re going to.
- The date and time of their doctor’s visit.
- The address where they will pick you and your child up. If there is a phone number at the pickup location, they need that too.
- The name, address and phone number of the doctor or drug store where you need to go.
If your child has any special needs, they need to know that so they can send the right type of vehicle. For example, for people who use a wheelchair, they can send a van with a wheelchair ramp.
The ModivCare app gives you the flexibility to schedule your medical ride whenever and wherever you like. All you need to do is search “ModivCare” on either Google Play® or the Apple App Store® to download. Make sure to have an email address handy to create your account. Then requesting a ride is only a few clicks away!
With the ModivCare App you can:
- Book a trip
- Change or cancel a ride
- Know where your driver is at in real time
- Text or call the driver to make sure your ride is on time
- Submit a trip mileage claim to get reimbursed
- Contact support within the app to talk to a live agent